Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Missing You...

Life in general and memories are getting easier.  I find days laughing more often at our "together highway" than crying.  I did scroll through Facebook memories last night and teared up a little.  I hope you know what an impact you made on lives outside our family demographic. You were loved by and impacted many at church and at the schools where you taught or substituted.   

My mother had a wildfire spirit that was hard to harness.  Even in her final month, she fought hard to be present. I am truly thankful she still knew me until her dying breath. Did you know she died in a t-shirt that said "Bad Ass Mama?"  Her hospice nurse wanted her to have it on because it was cute, and it is TRUE!  Only at her funeral have I shared the story of her "after" her death.

I went to Spilsbury Mortuary a few days after her death to get her death certificate.  I arrived home to scan it for digital purposes, and noticed her name was wrong on it.  I called the mortuary upset and confused only to have the owner call me back. We both had edited the death certificate and had proofread it many times before it went through to the Utah Bureau of Statistics...and I'm an English teacher.

Jody was like, "Was your mom a prankster or a jokester?" Ha...you have to ask?  I was like...why?  She told me mom's body had gotten delayed and stuck in Las Vegas overnight in transit to get her flown back to Virginia for burial.  She always wanted to see Vegas, so I guess she got her wish.  The airline wouldn't "accept her body" until the following day.  It's ironic that she had to go through "Sin City" to get to the "Pearly Gates."  It was the one light in all the sadness, and John and I still giggle about it.  

Upon our return from Glacier in July, I was trying to put clothing away in a rather hidden spot where I keep my exercise gear.  In there I found a piece of her jewelry with a snowman on it.  I know I did not put that there, so I can only believe she is still pulling pranks on her heavenly adventures.  

Thanks mom for visiting in my dreams, and whatever little "sneaks" you may be pulling here at our house in Utah. I totally believe our loved ones still let us know they are "watching." I know you're safe, happy, and free from pain. Know this doesn't mean I still don't miss you, especially on Sundays when we visited sharing stories, photography, and a cup of coffee.  

Love, Me

No comments: