Friday, November 4, 2016

Writing with Students #2

Best Christmas

It had been a very trying and harsh year for our family. My father had lost his job, and financially, the hardships upon us were more than tasking. Christmas was a holiday we were not looking forward to. Gifts were not affordable for anyone, so we chose to make gifts instead.  My father reconstructed and refurbished an old Victrola player for my aunt that belonged to her father.  The wood was vibrantly brown and shiny, hidden under the sheet he carried into the living room and placed under the tree filled with decorations.  I remember distinctly my aunt's face when the sheet was removed and dad's gift was revealed.  She was ecstatic and in tears.  That was our best Christmas, for although we had nothing, we truly had everything.

No comments: