Monday, August 20, 2007


Ok, so, so much for a nice relaxing three day weekend.

I arrived home Thursday night after briefly visiting with my folks, to change the sheets and to sit down for a relaxing evening with my other half, oh how that changed! John yelled upstairs at me while I was changing sheets and said, "I think we're getting ready to get a little storm." About that time, the wind really picked up...and I said, "LITTLE?" Anyway, John and I saw the most awesome display of mother nature that I've ever seen in my life. The lightning bolts were truly amazing and if I was not so scared of storms, I would have set a tripod out on our front porch to do a little photography, but the storm was just way too intense. It looked like the scene from War of the Worlds where the lightning bolts are coming out of the sky. This went on for 45 minutes. When the storm finally began to pass over, you could truly see the intensity of it as John and I went out on the front porch to watch a constant light show again of lightning bolts. It headed east and I knew my parents were in for it! There were 38,500 lightning bolts from storms on Thursday night into Friday morning. Well, storm #2 hit around 10:30 that evening, and then 3 more rolled through Goochland between midnight and 2:30 a.m. Yep, I was awake for all of them. We lost electricity during the first storm, so I had no choice but to rest on the couch and read by flashlight.

On Friday I went to my parents' home to shower and get cleaned up. My mom went riding with me back towards Goochland to see the devastation done by the storms. There were trees on power lines and down in family's yards like you wouldn't believe. We had one little tree snap in our front yard, but it was harmless and pretty much fell in the gully out front, so we aren't too worried about it.

After Mom and I left devastation central, we ate lunch at the Gray Bear Grille. We both got crabcake sandwiches, they were awesome. Mom hated the cole slaw she ordered, so they brought her some pasta salad instead. I was so tempted to get French fries, but decided to behave myself. I hadn't been to the gym on Friday or Thursday because both the Y's that I frequent did not have electricity. I made up for it on Saturday and Sunday however.

John and I then went to Red Robin to meet some friends for dinner. My new friend Missy (visit her blog here) and her husband Mike (works with my hubby) are truly very sweet people. We had a great evening, but before they arrived, some 3 year old kid decided to vomit at the table in front of us. The mother cleaned it up, but neglected to have anyone disinfect the area. So I had to stop a waitress and have someone wipe down the floor with bleach. GROSS! I mean, come on, mothers should know better. The kid looked like hell for the next 30 minutes until the rest of the family ate and then took him home. I thought that was pretty selfish on the family's part. I would have packed my kid up and taken him home to get some rest. Poor little guy. Anyway, we had a great time with Mike and Missy and little Griffin. He really is adorable and John had fun keeping him entertained with crayons and playing with his balloon. Let's not forget the paper airplane John made for him either. It was a grand night.

On our way back home, we were stopped on 522 by the power guys trying to repair the lines that had fallen prey to the storm. John and I were thrilled, we thought for sure power would be back on, on Friday night. No such luck! I called VA Power and they said it'd be back on on Friday night by 11 p.m., but didn't happen. Finally around 4 p.m. on Saturday our power returned. We had nasty storms again last night, one bolt went down a little too close to the house and I went flying upstairs to snuggle in bed with my hubby. It made me feel better.

Onto baby news...we hit the 15 week mark today! I finally bought some maternity clothes from JCPenney and they are adorable. I need to order another pair of pants and a couple of more blouses and we'll be set I think for the winter. I can't believe that June 8th, we discovered that we were pregnant, and now almost 3 months later, I have this little being inside of me. It's way cool!

I guess I need to actually get some work done. God bless all and have a great week.
Here's a picture I took around our home. John took us on a "woods" adventure back in the spring to see what we could find. He had me so lost that I was ready to kill him, but I do love this shot I got. John's pictures had a ton of orbs in them....ewww...spooky.

1 comment:

Susie Q said...

Oh wow! You did get to meet Mike and Missy and little G! What fun.
I am so sorry about the awful weather. I know what it is like to be without power because of a storm and it is TOUGH! Hope things are finally better now. At least you have power!

I know I am dependent on it too much but oh wow. Thank you Ben Franklin! I do so like that electricity!

Stay well and take good care of yourself!