Friday, January 20, 2017

Sixth Grade Speech

I gave a speech today to our sixth graders as they received their awards.  I am the sixth grade team lead.  I was proud to be up there, but very nervous!!!

Good morning, I am Cindy Matejka, English teacher and the sixth grade team lead.

I would like to welcome students, staff, guests, and parents to our mid-year sixth grade awards ceremony.  It is with great pleasure that I stand here today to share with you our young people’s joys and achievements.

Abraham Lincoln once said, “The best way to predict the future, is to create it.”

Today, and every day, you have the opportunity to create your future.  Sixth graders, in six more years, you will be standing with these same classmates receiving your high school diploma.  You are the class of 2022. Today is a very important step in your lives, and a significant day on our school calendar, as we recognize publicly your successes. 

Today is a day of celebration. You are being celebrated for your excellence in performance in your first semester of middle school; in sports, in academics, and in extra curricular activities.  We are all, and I’m including other adults in this room, at different stages of our lives.  You are on the brink of the paths you will take on your road in life.

I am amazed by all of you this year.  In one semester, I have watched you grow, change, and embrace middle school.  As you finish your school year, remember how important it is to high five a friend in the hallway, help a stranger open his or her locker, to ask a teacher how they are doing today, help a friend understand a math problem, and how bright the light is shining on your future.  Remember, you are the creator of what you will be.

Thank you and enjoy the program.




No comments: