Monday, August 29, 2011

Earthquakes, Hurricanes, and Aftershocks...oh my!

No cooking this weekend people, except some BBQ chicken on the grill. We had a tough weekend with Hurricane Irene, and I didn't want to try to make something just to lose the electricity in the middle of a meal. I'll get back on the bandwagon this weekend.

For those that don't know, we also endured quite the earthquake here in Virginia last Tuesday. We are still experiencing aftershocks from fun. You can see the USGS website's latest information here.

My Friday consisted of a half day off. I did meet my hubby for lunch at McAlister's. It was nice to be with him for a while without the kid. We need that on occasion and we really have not had a date night in forever. It's so needed.

I took that half day to attend the memorial services of my friend's husband. I got there, and I couldn't do it. I'm not sure why I couldn't stay...maybe because he was so young....maybe because I have been really angry to know that a 43 year old healthy runner with two small girls had to be taken away with a brain tumor. I signed the book when I got there, walked to the front and looked at the flowers, and left, crying while en route to pick up the love of my life. My heartfelt prayers to Sandie and her girls. I love you much! I am trying to get my "anger" under control with myself and my spiritual side. It's been tough with mom and her depression as well, and I'm really trying to understand it all. I'll be glad to get back to church activities in two weeks. I think that's what I'm missing right now.

I left, picked up Mr. Matthew and headed to Kroger. Great relief to see the parking lot was not too jammed and we got in with our "list" to get to work. Really....for the word "panic", there was none. The store was much busier than usual, but not "nuts". We did encounter a 30 minute wait at the check-out line which is unusual for Kroger, but it was expected with the storm upon us. The cashier said it had been that way since 8 a.m. Imagine that. We did get some perishables, such as chicken and hamburger, for we could keep things cold, and I cannot praise enough the ownership of a gas grill! Woot.

I was able to get a 30 minute workout in with my favorite crazy trainer...Jillian Michaels...and hit the shower and bed Friday night trying to get some rest prior to this stupid storm.

Saturday morning brought the usual, up, breakfast, run. I kicked out 8 miles on the treadmill Saturday morning. Awesome. We then tried to find various ways to keep our 3 year old entertained...sheesh. I bought Stuart Little at Kroger on Friday, so that occupied a couple of hours. And thank God for a bike that hooks to the TV...hello technology, I love you.

So during this whole hurricane Irene thing, we lost the electricity finally Saturday afternoon around 5:30 pm. At least the generator was gassed up for use and for the most part, we were ready. We are on a well system, so in order to keep water flowing...ahem...after using the potty as Matthew so eloquently puts it, we have to kill power to various rooms to get the well pump working. Unfortunately, this does NOT include the hot water heater :( Cold shower anyone? And I'm not saying in a good way ;0)

We pitched a tent downstairs with sleeping bags because around 3 pm, a man lost his life due to a fallen tree. We live in the country, on almost 5 acres, so to be safer than sorry, we hunkered down for the night. Matthew thought it was the best thing ever. He slept ALL NIGHT. I grabbed my Bible around 9 pm, read some more of the book of Psalms and was hoping the storm would head elsewhere, and it did. Getting back to my religious roots gave me a nice calm. I just kept asking God to keep us safe. I finally settled on the sleep sofa, with some Ambien and my Better Homes and Gardens magazine to take the edge off. I slept solidly until 6 a.m. the next morning.
I'm not sure why after a hurricane, there is so much calm and beauty. The morning after at our house was so gorgeous. I went for a 5 1/2 mile run outside and was just enamored with how pretty the clouds and blue sky were/are. Goodbye Irene. We still find it ironic that my mother-in-law who passed away two months ago, shares the same name. My husband still swears she's behind it.

We're safe and hoping this week will be a better one. God bless all of you.

No comments: