Tuesday, April 25, 2023

For the Love of a Mom

 On April 3rd my entire word went dark.  My mom passed away that night at 10:20 pm.  I loved her so much and try to be as compassionate an educator as she.  I was blessed to be loved by such a strong woman even up to her last breath.  She died in a t-shirt I had made for her that said "Bad Ass Mama" and she was just that.

On March 7th, they gave my mom 24 hours to live. She came sauntering down the hall of her assisted living the next day proving how incredible she was and still is, I have no doubt, in Heaven.  I was her only child, and caring for two parents at their death is a very difficult task.  I lost dad five years ago to cancer, and now my mom to dementia/Alzheimer's.  She knew me until her last day and even tried to sit up to talk to me when I visited when given only 24 hours to live.  She was mighty and amazing. 

I grieve every day but hide it well.  Being alone on my drives to school or even working out at the gym can incite a tear or two.  Despite having a wonderful husband and son, the bond and friendship I had with my mother is stronger than anything on the this side of Heaven.

Writing is cathartic for me. I'm sure I'll have much more to share in the future about this wonderful lady who gave me life!
















No comments: